Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why are Asians unkind to Asians?

I have had several disappointing encounters with Asian shopkeepers recently. Initially, I would brush off such rude encounters as "Oh, they are just like typical Asian shop keepers. At least they remind me of home." A close friend of mine, who is an Asian has always told me how pissed off she was and is with Asian shop owners. She tried as hard as she could to not go to one, if given the choice.

But recently, I really could take it no more. I was at an Asian kid's clothing shop last week and the shop keeper irritated me so much, I almost give her a piece of my mind! There were other shoppers in the shop, some Australian, some Middle Eastern and some Indian. I choose 2 winter coats for Ashley and all that I did was to ask if she could give me some discount, since I am getting 2 coats. Her reaction was as though I was asking her to give me her money or, life savings even! She could have told me no further discount but was there a need for her to say that I am leading her to bankruptcy?! Another shopper was asking for discount and she was smiling and said, "This is already our discount price". I was SO MAD at the "racism" given by an Asian to another Asian. Why is it that Asian are always treated with less respect by other Asians? If one would shop at Petaling Street, one will notice how a local is being treated differently than the treatment rendered to a foreigner. Is it because Asians are "less rich" or perhaps because Asians are smart and not easily fooled by sweet talk of the seller?

I have determined in my heart to avoid going to Asian shops, if I can avoid it. Of course there are a few nice ones, e.g. my Asian grocer (praise God for that!) and some restaurant owners. I really hope to see a shift of mindset and attitude towards Asians, by Asians. We are equally capable to "contribute" to their business, if not better.

No comments: