Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Joanna's visit to Sydney

WARNING: This is going to be a LONG blog.

Normally, when one play host to a visitor, one would plan on the places to bring them, the things to do together, the food to try out etc. It would involved alot of getting in and out of the house and rushing from one place to another. By the end of the visit, one would normally look forward to getting back one life's routine and a long rest to recuperate. But it was not so for Joanna's visit. The after-feeling of her visit was one of nostalgia, refreshed, sweet and heart warming. I have forgotten what it felt like to have just spent good time with good friend for quite awhile now. Aih, missing her already.

Joanna arrived on Saturday but it was all began quite dramatic for me. I sighted some spotting when I went to toilet in the morning. I was worried as we drove to the airport to pick Jo up. Deep in my heart I was worried if having Jo around would be a hassle since I wanted to bring her around Sydney but at the same time, I knew I should take things easy and rest as much as possible. I did call up my doctor and he assured me that if the bleeding stop and I can still feel the baby moving, there is nothing to be concern about. The baby did kick, so I thought perhaps we could still go on with our plan, which was to go to the city for lunch and then a stroll to Hyde park for the outdoor skating rink winter festival. Well, ended up it rained heavily and the traffic was so bad, we decided to have lunch halfway back and spend the rest of the day at home. That was the right thing to do. We had great food and lovely fellowship.

Jo came like a santa clause. The moment she stepped into the house, she unpacked 4 containers of home baked cookies, chocolate truffles, varieties of nuts, clothes and book for Ashley, and of course clothes for me. I have only requested for a pair of jeans for Ashley so you could imagine my surprise! I felt so blessed that she is so generous to us and it kinda reminded me of the feeling I had when I was a child- when during every Chinese New Year, my aunt from Singapore will buy me and my sister clothes, toys and chocolates from Singapore. You know, the feeling of having so many gifts to unwrap, so many things to love and like? But nothing beats the feeling of being able to have heart to heart talk, being true to yourself and yet being loved for who you are. We didn't do any of those touristy things that I've planned. Instead we took her through a trip to our "daily life", our normal hang out place, market place etc., and she even cooked dinner for us. Joanna embraced every moment of it and she cherished every moment of play with Ashley. It was so much fun to see the way they played and laughed together.

On the day that Joanna left, Ashley seems to know what's coming. In the morning, she tried to distant herself away from Joanna, as though bracing herself for what is to come. But it was a short episode and in no time, they were having the best farewell.

I can't wait for another visit from Joanna. I hope she had a blessed time too, as how she has blessed us during her short stay with us.

1 comment:

richrach said...

how sweet... great blessing to have such a great friend and a great kaima for Ashley :)