Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bible stories --> Novels

I am currently reading this novel entitled Lineage of Grace. Hubby bought it for me because he knows what a novel fan I am. It is a series of stories regarding women from the Bible, how they were linked to each other and whose chronology finally leads to the birth of Jesus Christ. The author has kept the story true to the Bible's, just adding some background and extra casts which helps to keep the story alive.

I am a novel person and I can stay up the whole night finishing a book. This book is really good and I highly recommend friends to read it. I never used to make the connections between Tamar, Jacob's daughter in law and Rahab, the harlot who hid the spies in Jericho to Jesus's lineage but this book helped put things into perspective for me. The more "revelational" thing is that those women were not even Jews. They were Canaanites, they were not from God's chosen people. Yet, way before Jesus came into the world to die for sinners, Jews and Gentiles, He has already shown us His intention and His plans. Jesus, had harlot and widows as "ancestors". I was so awe-strucked at this newfound revelation. Each time I read the Bible, I read them as a story in one of the books in the Bible. But I never see how through the entire old testament, the stories and happenings is a leading up to the ONE important story, the story of redemption through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I have just finished the story about Ruth. I cried when I read how tough it was for Ruth to be accepted by the Israelites because she was in fact, a foreign woman. I am excited to see how Bathsheba is put into the picture after this. It will give me a whole new perspective and understanding of the story of David and Bathsheba.

So for friends out there who is searching for a good book, without too something easy to read and entertaining, go get this book. It is worth it.

No comments: