Thursday, July 16, 2009

Swine flu scare

Hubby and I have been struck down with flu for the past one week. It was horrible because we couldn't rest properly at night and the weather had been extremely cold. Yesterday, the news was reporting of swine flu spread in Sydney's west with many pregnant mothers contracting it. One was even admitted to intensive care and the death toll has been rising. It was advice that pregnant women with any flu symptoms to go get themselves tested for swine flu. On top of that, one of hubby's colleague was confirmed positive with swine flu. All these factors gave me slight concern.

This morning hubby and I went to the doctor's, hoping to get tested for swine flu. However, the clinics weren't allowed to carry out swine flu test any longer because the labs were overwhelmed with the requests since the swine flu outbreak. The doctor is only allowed to screen the patients and for those who fall under vulnerable category will be given a shot of Tamiflu antiviral. Since none of us have got a fever, we were not eligible to get Tamiflu shots. In a way, it is a relief to know that we are not at risk of swine flu but at the same time, it puts me on tip toe to monitor my body temperature every few hours. Other than some homeopathy medication, all I can do is to let my body's immune system fight off the bug.

I really hope that we will be healthy soon. The blocked nose and bouts of coughing has been hurting my lungs and giving me trouble to have a good night's rest. Hopefully the cold weather will pass soon and the sun will shine bright and warm once again.

No comments: