Thursday, July 16, 2009

My MIL's bread cake



My mother in law (MIL) is a great cook. From Chinese cuisines to western, main course to desserts, she is the expert in all. That explains why my hubby is a big guy! During our dating days, his mum always bake this bread cake for us. I remember allowing myself to eat only one small piece each time, hoping to stretch the yummy dessert over as long as I can.

When we moved to Australia, she passed me her recipe book and asked me to copy down whatever recipes I wanted since eating out is so expensive here in Australia. Of course one of the first recipe I looked out for was her bread cake. I have attempted to bake the cake but I always lacked one of the ingredients. Last week I was feeling very gung-ho and I have this craving for sweet desserts. I finally made the effort to give the bread cake a try. Result? It was great! My cake turned out so well. Other than being a little too sweet, hubby said it tasted just like the one his mum used to bake. I was so proud of myself. When I am in my baking mood, I can go on baking for days. Of course having appreciative eaters motivated me. Sylvia and Rebecca loved my cakes.

My next challenge is to try my hand on decorating the cakes. It would be a fun activity for me and my kids to play and experiment with icing and food colourings. Perhaps when I am really good at it, I might be able to generate some income from this little hidden passion of mine. Hehehehehe......

No comments: