Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ashley's got my temper!

I admit that I've got a bad temper. I don't have those big outburst type of temper. Mine is the excruciatingly silent treatment type of temper, if you know what I mean. Hehe.....Ask Tex is you want to find out how bad it is.

Anyway, lately Ashley has been showing signs that she is heading in the same direction. She is undergoing her terrible 2 stage, which I totally disagree prior to this. My gal was the perfect toddler. Kind, helpful, adorable and obedient. But as all new mums, I was ignorant and totally unaware that this is actually a "normal" stage in a toddler's life. It has got nothing to do with parenting skills, the personality of the child, the environment etc. All these external factors are only there to make the stage harder or easier to cope with. Back to Ashley and her silent treatment episodes. Lately, she gets upset easily, especially with her dad because he is overly patient with her. When she doesn't get things her way, she will push her dad away. For example, she will refuse to let him put her to bed, refuse to let him kiss her, being mean to him and not wanting to play with him. She may only be 2 year old, but she sure knows how to "hurt" the feelings of the people who love her. I was terribly distress that she would do such things to her dad, especially. Did she pick that up during one of my silent treatment episodes with Tex? If she did, I am totally guilty as a bad role model.

I had a talk with hubby the other night. I told him that he needs to stand up for his "right" as a dad. It is about time the little lady learns that she shouldn't step all over her dad's head and go around acting like a little tyrant. Instead of always being cautious not to ignite her temper flare, trying to please her and walking on thin ice, we should be the ones who are in control. Who cares if people think we are the worst parents or giving us funny glares, the issue is to get the gal's perspective right. Well, I think it might work. Today Ashley was the perfect child. She listens to what I said and she lets me sit through my Bible Study lesson with no distraction. She surprises me further by trying to sooth a crying baby Nasia.

We have so much to learn as a parent. Ashley has so much to learn too as a toddler. When times are trying, stop and reflect and discuss with your partner. Two heads are better than one. If it doesn't help solve the problem, at least it helps to know someone else is "worrying" about it with you. Hehehe.

No comments: