Sunday, July 5, 2009

Should we or should we not take the risk?

Lately, I've discovered that an ugly side of Sydney-siders. It is regarding the issue of parking. Back in Malaysia, on and off we will read in the newspaper incidences or fights as a result of "fighting" over a parking spot. I have always thought that it was plain silly to get into a fight over a parking lot. So when I get caught in such situations, I normally won't insist on "claiming" the parking spot I eyed on. I haven't have bad encounters in Malaysia though.

When I got over to Australia, I found that Australians are generally more tolerant, especially if they see that you have a young child in the car. Their common sense while on the road was great and it was "safe" to drive around without getting nasty stares or finger pointing in your direction. However, lately I've discovered that the trend have changed. People are getting ruthless and inconsiderate, especially the younger generation. Parking spaces reserved for those with prams and toddlers were ignored, people eyeing the same parking spot refused to budge and small offenses (i.e. forgetting to turn on the indicators) gives you angry stares and muffled murmurs from the drivers.

This morning I took Ashley to the mall for my weekly grocery shopping. I saw a parking spot and had my indicator on, ready to park my car. Then in the opposite direction was a guy, just putting on his indicator and using sign language, told me that he wants to park there. I was furious. In my mind, I was contemplating on "fighting" for my parking spot. But the man looked burly and I have Ashley in the car with me. I couldn't risk our safety, all for the sake of "insisting" on getting MY parking spot. Praise God there was a better parking spot for me further down the road, closer to the mall's entrance. Of course such coincidence don't happen frequently. That got me very upset. Why are people getting so unkind and inconsiderate? When will the rights of the "weaker" side be vindicated? I do hope that someone else will be able to "teach" those group of people a lesson. However, I realize that the issue here is not in teaching them a lesson (as a form of revenge), but rather the overall matter of the heart of a large group of people living in our generation. People have become hard hearted, self-centered, unloving and evil, if I can use that word.

It saddens my heart greatly. What kind of world are we going to raise our children in? What kind of values should we impart into our children? Of course I never doubt in teaching and nurturing my kids in the ways of the Lord, full of compassion and kindness but is that good enough to help them get through life in world unscathed? Indeed we are living in a fallen world. I know this for sure, no matter how I try to prepare my kids for the world, they are sure to get hurt and have bad encounters. I remember talking to new parents, how they desire to equip their kids to excel in the world, achieve an easier and better life. However, my aim is no longer to help them to succeed in the world with a worldly definition, but to do their bits to make this world a better place for some and to look forward to their final destination, which will also be our final destination in Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

richrach said...

Last week when I was in KTM train, I saw a pregnant lady - probably in her 7-8 mths standing in front of a man who is comfortably sitting. I thought I saw the man purposely looked at other directions and "make dono"... sigh. sad aint it?