Thursday, July 23, 2009

Details on my Swine Flu drama

I had the biggest drama with this swine flu episode. Well, technically I am not tested for swine flu so I am only a suspected swine flu victim. I made some mistakes which could get very serious and deathly but praise God, He looked after me. I want to just blog down my experience, hoping to educate others and as a reminder to myself.

Day 1- It was Friday and after watching the news about swine flu and pregnant women the day earlier, I decided to get myself checked for swine flu. I have been having runny nose for 5 days and have recently developed a cough. I was given the clear. By night, I was running a fever of 38 degrees.

Day 2- I went to the doctor and was given Tamiflu. He gave me a prescription for half the normal dose of antibiotics but told me to take it if my phlegm is not clear. Since I hardly cough out any phlegm, I decided to not take the antibiotic. I called my obstetrician and he told me to take some Panadol Sinus for my fever and blocked nose.

Day 3- I was feeling better when I woke up in the morning. But I was feeling unwell again by afternoon. I was coughing more and so I bought myself some chesty cough syrup. The pharmacist didn't ask me about other medication that I was taking. I took Panadol sinus for the 2nd time and I slept well.

Day 4- I was feeling well in the morning but I notice some fluid coming out of my lungs when I was coughing. There was some blood stain in my phlegm too. I decided to go see Ashley's doctor. She said my left lung was filled with phlegm and could lead to pneumonia. She gave me a prescription for full dosage of antibiotic. I casually told her about my other medication, Panadol Sinus and Chesty cough syrup. I was shocked when she told me that Panadol sinus is a no-no for pregnant women since it contains an active ingredient which increases the baby's heart rate. The cough syrup actually builds up phlegm in my chest to help me cough it out. So I have been taking counter active medication for the past 2 days. I am glad and thankful that I was prompted to go see the doctor today. I could have ended up having pneumonia, get hospitalized and maybe my life would be in grave danger!

Day 5- I was feeling better.

Day 6- I can't wait to get out of the house.

Day 7- I got out of the house!

I have not fully recovered yet but I am feeling much better than I have in days. I truly thank God that through all the mistakes that I have made, He preserved me. I could look back and regret all the "what if", and complain but I decided to thank Him for His timely intervention. This pregnancy is indeed a roller coaster ride, but God truly is Amazing. Jesus, Thank You.

1 comment:

richrach said...

Thank God for His endless love and protection over u and baby. Talking about 2 lives there... u take care dudette.