Thursday, May 21, 2009

First Aid Tip #1

This is something I learned through experience and I found it to be effective, at least in the situation I was put in. So here I am as a mother, sharing and jotting it down for future "emergencies".

Last Sunday we were having BBQ at a friend's place and Ashley was playing with their daughter in the backyard. Halfway through, she complained of pain in her hands and feet. A close inspection from Tex told us why- she had splinters in her hands and feet. When babies are younger, splinters don't really affect them because their skin shed and expand so easily, the body somehow knows how to "remove" the foreign object by itself. Also babies don't play at the backyard as much as a toddler, climbing up trees and roughing it out in the "wild". Well, like how we used to do it back home, we tried to remove the splinters with sterilized needle. It was easier removing the splinters from her feet because the skin at the bottom of her feet is less sensitive to pain and thicker. But removing splinters from the palm is more challenging. Ashley wouldn't let us go near her hand with the needle and 2 days later, I discovered that the splinter affected area was red, possibly it is inflamed. Suddenly I had this smart idea of soaking her in the bath tub until her sin goes wrinkly. The skin was so soft then that I could easily remove the splinter with a tweezer.

So, for future splinter emergencies, just soak the affected area in warm water (I would advice doing during their normal bath time) and viola, remove the splinter there and then!

No comments: