Monday, May 11, 2009

Post Mother's Day drama

On the Monday after Mother's day, Ashley woke up complaining of stomachache. She has never had stomachache before. I thought it was due to colic or constipation (which I can safely rule out because she does her big business everyday without fail) so I just applied some ointment on her tummy, hoping that it would help. She stopped complaining for 2 minutes before she cried out in pain again. I was so worried. She didn't want her breakfast, and only manage to finish half her cereal after much coaxing from me. 5 minutes into her breakfast, she threw everything up. By this time, I was in panic mode and I was madly flipping my "Baby and Child Care" book (This is a great book, very comprehensive and thorough). There are several causes for stomachache in toddlers, ranging from "nothing to be concern about" to medical emergencies. I checked for the symptoms and I was glad to be able to rule out appendicitis and the more severe cases. I narrowed her stomachache to intestinal spasm, gastroenteritis, or just "something that happen for no apparent reason". Ashley had a nap and she seemed to be alright after that. I was complacent once more and when she asked for chocolate milk, I was only too glad to offer it to her. Bad choice. She threw up the entire box of chocolate milk and she refused to eat dinner. Hubby and I decided to bring her to the doctors but when we got there, the waiting queue was 2 hours and 45 minutes long! It was already 8pm when we got there, so we thought that we should just go home, let Ashley have proper rest and see how things go the next day. That was the right decision. Ashley woke up this morning asking for breakfast, chocolate milk to be exact which we replaced with Milo-kosong. She was all chirpy and finished her breakfast. It is 1.30pm and from the looks of her energy during playgroup and the way she finished her lunch, I can safely say that she is alright.

I did an analysis of the possible causes of her stomachache episode. I think it has got alot to do with the curry rice she had for dinner and the glutinous rice (lo mai kai) she ate for lunch. She did say that the curry was hot but she kept eating it, alongside 2 puri, white rice and some of my kuih. I guess the combination of the food caused indigestion and irritated her stomach. I do feel bad and blame myself for the poor girl's "suffering". But I have learned my lesson and hopefully I will be a better mum after this.

No comments: