Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Come on winter, we are ready!

Winter came early this year in Sydney and I can safely say for the rest of Australia too. I missed the sunshine when it rained for 2 whole weeks a couple of weeks ago. We kept the fans in the garage and brought out the heater. Our dryer has been working overtime ever since.

Ashley got sick a couple of days ago. Her nose got stuck and she was throwing up phlegm with her lunch. Poor girl couldn't sleep well because it was interrupted by episodes of coughing. So, I decided to be really prepared for winter this time round. I asked some locals for advise and browsed through the shops to see what's on sale for winter. Here are some of my preparation:

1. Flannelette bedsheet. They are surprisingly warmer to touch compared to normal cotton bedsheet. They help to trap the body heat too.
2. Fleece jumpsuit and flannelette pajama. Keep one's body super warm, especially it traps the air and heat around the body surface.
3. Hot water bottle.
4. Vaporiser. Rebecca loaned us her vaporiser to help Ashley's nasal congestion. It was great. I remember having blood stain in my "tahi hidung" in the morning due to the dry and cold air at night. But this vaporiser does wonders!
5. Heater
6. Fleece throws and blankets. All the surfaces to sit on will be super cold during winter. Fleece throw comes in handy. I am not trying out the electric blanket just yet.
7. Sheep skin. I haven't try this but friends have suggested to overlay the sheep skin over the mattress, under the bedsheet. It is good for trapping heat too.
8. Warm clothings and layering. Winter is a season to strut your latest fashion. High boots, trench coat, beanie, jumpers etc. Since one will be wrapped in layers, you can eat as much as you want and no one will notice the weight piling up around the waist and butt.
9. Hot soup and hot chocolate.

I am sure my list is incomplete. But I shall learn more about bracing ourselves against winter as I go through more winters in the coming years.

No comments: