Monday, April 6, 2009

People in my life - strangers

Before I continue with my series on the people in my life, I would love to point out that the arangement of the articles - tex, friends, strangers and etc is no indication of their importance in my life. I just write them as my mood and inspiration prompted me. With that, let's move on with the article.

I have encountered the kindest strangers and some nasty strangers in my life but thankfully they are few and far in between. One of the strangers that made my day was the postman. I have always liked our postman. Rain or shine, he will be passing by my house at 12 noon on his letter bags laden motorbike. One can't miss him as he has this fluorescent orange uniform on. He is like the postman from my story books when I was a child. Friendly, always stopping to greet you, smiley and helpful. Since I live in an area where the residents are mostly retirees, the folks would get out of their house when they hear him coming. They will collect the letters from him by hand and catch up on the latest gossip and news abit. Last Thursday, as I was just getting back from Bible study at noon, he came. I waved and expected him to put the mail into the mail box. I was busy opening the door and getting Ashley in when I heard "Good day ma'am. Here's a special delivery for you." There he was, flashing his "colgate" smile and passing me my mails. It was nothing too extraordinary but his act of kindness touched me. To be pampered and treated this way made me feel kinda special.

The next stranger worth mentioning here is my obstetrician. I remembered in the early days of my 2nd pregnancy, I experienced some bleeding. Since we can't detect the baby's heartbeat because the pregnancy was still too early, the only way to check if it is going well is by doing a blood test. I had my blood taken on Wednesday and I was to call my doctor on Friday for the results. One can imagine me surprise when I got a call from my obstetrician on Wednesday evening to inform me of the results. He said: "I knew you would be worried. So here is the results, just so you can have peace of mind." I was so touched that he would even remember and call us personally. Just last week, I was again touched my his kindness. I called him after playgroup on Friday because one of the kid had slap cheek infection. It was supposed to carry some risk to pregnant mothers so I was concerned and gave him a call. By the way, he actually gave us his personal mobile phone number so we could have access to him anytime and anyday. He picked up my call and was so reassuring (he explained the scientific findings and what risks are involved etc. I like a doctor who explains things to me and not just brush my concerns off as though it was silly) that I was comforted.

Strangers come and strangers go. But some strangers touched your life even though you might not have the priviledge of having them as your friend. The lesson I learnt is that to be kind and considerate at all times. One might never know when one can be the "stranger that touched another stranger's life".

Lord, help me to be someone who touches the lives of others through the act kindness, not just to families and friends. Amen.

No comments: