Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ashley at 2

A child's brain between 1 year old to 4 year old can be amazing. It is like a sponge, absorbing anything and everything around it. I have a first hand experience of what that is like, in Ashley. I hope that I never will sound boastful but am I proud of my girl? You betcha, I am very very proud of her.

Ashley has always been slightly faster in learning compared to most of her peers. Nope, I am not a kiasu parent and I hope I won't turn into one. I don't teach her alphabets, I don't teach her mathematics, I don't send her for smart reader's lessons and no, I didn't listen to classical music throughout my pregnancy. I am a strong believer in learning through nature and senses. I remembered when Ashley was first born, I always took her out for walks in the estate (the first 5 months) and I will let her touch the tree bark, the sand, the leaves etc., to stimulate her senses. When I came over to Australia (she was 6 months old then), I used to take her for long walks around the neighborhood and parks, pointing out things as we went along. That happened in the first year of her life.

Did it work? I believed it did. Ashley became very observant about things around her and she started talking much earlier than most kids her age. She could sing the entire "Twinkle twinkle little star" song at 18 months and count from 1 to 10 the month after. In fact, I am amazed at how fast she learns a new song. After singing the song twice, she'll be able to hum the tune and a couple more times of sing along, she'll be able to sing the entire song! Hubby and I found out that Ashley learns and memorize things through songs and this is good because when she starts school, we will know how to help her along. Her speech skill developed very fast but her motor skill still needed improvement. I have part of the solution to this, read on.....

When she turned 20 months, I got lazy "teaching" her stuff. Occasionally, I will show her the alphabet chart or teach her numbers or read her a book when she asked for it. I've packed too many activities into our daily life and I got "burn out". So I let Ashley be and learn things by herself. I don't help her with craft at the library unless she ask, I don't "entertain" her constantly at the playgroup and I don't "help" her at the playground. Kids are self learners. The few months that I let her do things her own way was when I discovered that she has "grown up", alot. She picks up sentences and she can engage in intelligent conversation with other people. She can use the scissor and glue and she can draw and explain her drawing to us. Today at the library, I was totally shocked to see that she could colour in between the lines! She used to swirl the crayon all over the picture but today, she actually did colour in between the lines. She also glued the eyes, hat and magic stick at all the right places, all by herself! Amazing!

Back to motor skill development, there is a reason why the playground has got climbing frames, "rock climbing" wall, rope ladders etc. Kids learn hand-eye coordination through play and they pick up problem solving through these obstacles. I have never let Ashley climb onto those monkey bars and dangerous rope ladders before this because I didn't want her to hurt herself. That is my Asian upbringing, very protective generally. But hubby wanted to teach her to be tough and rough (she was very xiao che before this). So, without my knowledge, he would offer to take her for evening walks while I get dinner ready but in actual fact, he took her on all those dangerous climbs! When I found out much later on, I was furious but glad at the same time. Ashley's motor skills improved immensely. So for my future kids, I think I will close one eye and let them roam free in the playground.

Ashley has been our pride and joy, not only to us parents but to her grandparents, aunts, uncles and kaimas. Watch over this precious child Lord and thank You. Amen.

1 comment:

richrach said...

it's really amazing aint it? :)